Yikes! I forgot to mention that for games this week we will be starting at 6:35. This will give you time to review skills for this week (passing) and do a warm up activity.
1) Warmup: pairs of players passing ball within a grid. Have players stop and do jumping jacks, burpees, etc. periodically.
2) Activity: do one of the activities listed below such as 1 vs 1 passing game
Well done everyone with your participation in the soccer clinic. Players and coaches proved once again that they are resilient and are willing to put up with all sorts of weather to play this great game.
Great start to the season last week. Wonderful seeing coaches arriving early to team sessions to set up and greet the kids. Kids love it when you know their names and they know each other’s names. It makes them feel like part of the team and that they are noticed. Thanks for sticking with the weekly themes during the team sessions. Feel free to add an activity you like that fits with the theme. This year we are continuing to play short sided games. Ensure you give enough time to play a short game after warm up and at the end of the team session.
U -10 boys and girls Purple team on Tuesday
Note that boys will be playing at Mt. View this week for both team session on Tuesday and games on Thursday.
Key coaching points:
Non kicking foot next to ball, pointing towards target.
Strike ball with side of foot.
Follow through toward target
And when passing accuracy more important than power.
Warm Up (5-10 minutes)
Pairs passing in grid, pass and then do dynamic stretches for 3 or 4 count and then receive the ball back (dribbling around while waiting for partner) while other partner does dynamic stretches for 3 or 4 count. Also work on calling. Move to passing and then cutting around a cone on the outside of grid and then receiving pass from partner. Work on change of pace and nice firm passes around grid. (Work on both feet!!)
Agility: Have players more through agility ladders and hurdles.
Game: 5-10 minutes
4 v 4. To score you must pass ball over end line to receiving player.
Technical Activities: 20-25 minutes
1 vs 1 passing game.
30X30 grid. 2 players to a ball. At least 6 goals spread around grid (2 cones 3m apart). Players pass the ball to partner within a grid. When coach yells go player tries to dribble ball through one of the cones. Ensure you change partners to give players an opportunity to play with others. Check out the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXnUPbIwZl
Passing cones game.
20X30 grid. 2 players to a ball. At least 6 goals spread around grid (2 cones 3m apart). Pairs of players pass ball through cones. Start without having time challenge. Can progress to seeing how many “goals” scored in one minute. Check out video.
Kids like this game. Check it out
see byte sized coaching binder or
Passing & Support – Square to Sqaure
You may want to try this one.
· Set-up area 20x10m
· Divide players into groups of four.
· One group in possession against one opponent in one 10x10m square.
· One square vacant to begin with.
· Accurate passes with good ball speed.
· Open your body to the play when receiving a pass.
· Support in triangles – wide and deep.
· Don’t support too close to the ball. Remember: distance = time.
1. Two groups compete against one another as follows: Four red players v 1 white player in a one square, with three white players resting outside the square at the halfway line. The coach serves the ball to the red team and they must make at least three passes after which they can pass the ball into the next square for one of the group to run onto. If successful all four red players move into the next square and, again try to get at least three passes and play back into the original square. If the red team is successful the defending white player steps out and a new defender enters the next square attempting to win the ball. If the red team should pass the ball out of bounds, or the defender wins the ball, the coach serves the next ball into the other square to the white players and one of the reds becomes a defender, while the other rest outside the area. Every successful movement from one square to the next = 1 point. First team to 10 points is the winner.
Progression: As above but 3v1 in one square, with fourth player in other square. Switch squares with a pass to the fourth player.
Game: 10-15 minutes.
5 v 5 or 4 v4
Regular rules. Focus on passing. Praise players who are passing well and correct when needed to help them improve their passing skills and decisions.
U -10 girls – Mixed game session
Warm Up (5-10 minutes)
Donkey Tails: 20X30 meter grid. Players tuck pinnies in back of shorts. Players try to take pinnies from others and then place in back of shorts. Who can get the most pinnies?
Pairs passing in grid: pass and then do dynamic stretches for 3 or 4 count and then receive the ball back (dribbling around while waiting for partner) while other partner does dynamic stretches for 3 or 4 count. Also work on calling. Move to passing and then cutting around a cone on the outside of grid and then receiving pass from partner. Work on change of pace and nice firm passes around grid. (Work on both feet!!)
Then move onto ….
Mixed Game: Kendra will help organize players into teams of 5 or 6 and play a King’s Court soccer tournament. Goals scored by passing ball to receiving player over goal line. Coaches can help organize and coach a game.